The following persons are eligible to adopt:
- Husband and wife jointly if both spouses are at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- Either the husband or wife if the other spouse is a parent or relative of the child (step-parent adoption);
- An unmarried person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
- A married person of at least twenty-one (21) years of ate who is legally separated from the other spouse.
- Same-sex couples are eligible to adopt, as is a same-sex partner of a biological parent.
If the minor child to be adopted is twelve (12) years or older, the consent of the child is required for the adoption.
What court will I be in?
The party filing for adoption can bring the adoption action in the district court in the counter where the party or the child to be adopted resides, in Tulsa County, in Oklahoma County, or the county where the termination (of parental rights) took place.